Ten years ago.
Over the desks of the studio he asked me out for a drink. I giggled, I didn’t think I was his type and newly single I’d told myself I’d stay that way a while.
We went out from work and got merry on cherry glühwein at the Christmas markets. I asked him if he fancied going for dinner, he told me he needed to go and feed his cat. I put my earphones in and headed for the bus and tried to not feel disappointed. I felt a tap on my shoulder, it was him, he’d decided the cat could wait.
A week later I’d moved in with him. The year after we were engaged. Between then and now there’s been 4 cities, 7 jobs, 7 houses and 1 little boy.
Mathew makes me feel lucky. Coming with me around the country while I focussed on my career, supporting me while I change career and try to find a new path. Always my creative partner in rime. He is still the rock and I am the boat.
To raise a glass this evening I’ve made us a vat of cherry glühwein, simmered with clementine, anise, clove, vanilla and cherry juice. The cat can sort herself out.
For two to get merry
- 1 bottle Red wine, I use something medium bodied like a Côtes du Rhône
- 1 Star anise
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Clementine, sliced into rings
- 1 Vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 200ml Cherry juice
- 150ml Water
- 120g Sugar
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and bring almost to the boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and leave for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Serve in mugs or glasses and decorate the tops with some dried clementine slices if fancied.