A store cupboard treat.
The savoury crunchy seeds and spicy tomato jam will keep well in airtight containers for ages, ready for you to go to when you fancy adding a bit of sweet heat or savoury crunch to mealtimes.
Here I dolloped and sprinkled them on cream cheese topped toasted rye toasts. They make an eminently munchable snack.
This is one of five recipes I developed for Morrisons, and if you fancy a butchers at the magazine spread, just click here.
For four, and more seeds and jam leftover for later
- 500g ripe red tomatoes, green cores removed
- 1 large red finger chilli (add another one if you like it hot)
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tsp powdered gelatine
For the seed sprinkle
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 fresh sourdough loaf, cut as thinly as possible
- Soft cheese
- Blend the tomatoes until they’re a fairly smooth consistency, then add them to a saucepan with the chilli, sugar, red wine vinegar and a generous grind of black pepper. Bring to the boil and skim off any residue that floats to the top with a spoon. Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes to reduce the mixture to a thick, syrupy consistency.
- After 40 minutes, add the lemon juice. Carefully spoon the gelatine granules into 50ml hot water in a cup, mixing until dissolved. Add to the tomato mixture and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Sterilise a large, clean jar by leaving it in the oven for 20 minutes at 150°C/130°C fan/Gas 2. While the jar is still warm, pour in the jam and leave to cool before putting in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, prepare the seeds. Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/Gas 2. Mix together the pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a bowl and pour over the soy sauce and oil, stirring well until all the seeds are very lightly coated.
- Transfer the seeds on to a lined baking sheet and spread them out into a thin layer. Bake for 20 minutes, giving them a stir after 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes before eating.
- To serve,toast your sourdough slices under the grill and, when crisp, top with cream cheese, some tomato jam and a sprinkling of the crunchy seeds.